Moving to a new home can be a frustrating experience even for the experienced mover. Therefore, we have created this checklist to make your move go as smooth as possible.
One Month Prior to Moving
- Obtain estimates from some moving companies. Get a written commitment of your pickup and delivery dates.
- Purchase additional moving insurance if your moving company does not provide adequate insurance.
- Arrange for a storage facility if you need one before you move.
- Arrange for your pet(s) travel and any needed health certificates.
- Make sure you bank has a branch at your new location.
- Go to the post office and submit your change-of-address forms.
- If you have any children in day care, give them notice of your child’s withdrawal.
- Contact your children’s schools and arrange for them to transfer their student records.
- Make an appointment with your doctors and get your medical records.
- Speak with your insurance agent and update your policies.
- Resign from any local organizations you are in.
- Cancel your newspaper subscriptions. Submit address changes to any magazines you receive.
- Make arrangements for any hotels, rental cars or temporary housing that you may need.
Two Weeks Prior to Moving
- Go through your house and decide what you really need/want to take.
- Donate unwanted items to charity.
- Pick up dry cleaning.
- Call your phone and other utility companies to let them know of the change.
- Begin packing your least used items.
- Contact your neighbors & friends to get back or return any items that have been lent out.
- Clean out your kitchen cupboards & plan any remaining meals.
One Week Prior to Moving
- Make a list of any items, such as valuable and irreplaceable items, that are going with you personally.
- Designate one box for sheets and towels.
- Confirm all arrangements you have made.
- Clean out and defrost your freezer and refrigerator.
- Take apart any furniture or others items that you can.
- Place all items from your yard and sheds in one area to be packed.
One to Two Days Prior to Moving
- Clean and defrost your refrigerator and freezer. Put a small amount of baking soda into it to remove any odors.
- Purchase your traveler’s checks.
- Reconcile and close your bank accounts, if necessary.
- Final packing of all household goods.
The Day You Move
- Verify your delivery address, the directions and the delivery date with your movers.
- Supervise the movers.
- Clean and check the your house and grounds.
- Check the thermostat and set the temperature appropriately.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Turn off all appliances.
When You Get to Your New Home
- Check that all utilities are on and working.
- Supervise the moving crew and begin unpacking the necessary basics first.
- Check the Bill of Lading from the moving company before you sign.
- Check for damaged items first.